AllFinancialExclusiveInvestorLifestyleNews & Trends

Handling water damage in your apartment


Water damage in apartment - this should be noted

If water leaks into your apartment or house, quick help is needed, because the wetness can often cause substantial damage and consequential costs. It must be clarified what the cause of water damage is, what specifically needs to be done and who has to pay in an emergency. It is recommended to have sufficient insurance in order to be able to repair existing damage as quickly as possible.

Water leak: what to do in an emergency

Whether it's dripping from the ceiling, seeping in from the wall or getting in through the door, if water gets into your apartment or house, you need to act quickly to limit the damage. The first order of business is to stop the water flood if possible. Turn off the water tap. If it is not clear where the water is coming from, the main water faucet should be shut off. The power supply should also be shut off immediately, as water can be life-threatening when combined with electricity. In addition, the water that has entered should be removed promptly and thoroughly, for example with rags or a wet vacuum. If the water is particularly high, contact the fire department, which has the proper equipment to pump out large amounts of water. Move all household items to safety, have emergency repairs made, and document the damage in detail before reporting it to the insurance company.

Homeowner's insurance

Homeowner's insurance policies kick in whenever tap water has leaked "in violation" of the policy's provisions. This is the case, for example, with tap water damage caused by a burst pipe; water damage caused by heaters, air conditioners, heat pumps, defective sprinkler systems and washing or dishwashing machines also falls under this. In this case, the insurance company will pay an amount equal to the replacement value of the damaged items. However, it will not pay if the damage was caused by rising groundwater, leaking cleaning water or a backwater within the sewer system. The homeowners insurance policy comes into play when the apartment or house itself has suffered damage. It serves to cover the costs of repairs and repairs, but does not cover so-called natural hazard damage caused by extreme weather or other natural events. There are special natural hazard insurance policies for this purpose.

If the tenant is proven to have acted with negligence, he must bear the costs of damage in himself

Tenant causes water damage: who is liable?

Many insurance companies handle such cases: A tenant has caused water damage, and it must be clarified who bears the costs for this. In principle, the party that caused the damage must pay for the damage repair. Tenants have a so-called duty of care and must regularly check their household appliances to ensure that they are sufficiently safe. If, for example, water damage is caused by the washing machine, for example via a defective washing machine hose, the tenant is responsible for the consequences. The tenant has no household insurance? In this case it is possible that he has to bear the costs completely himself. This is also the case if there is household insurance, but the tenant has been proven to have acted intentionally or with negligence, for example, if water damage was caused by an open window.

Neighbor causes water damage - what to do

If water damage occurs at the hands of a neighbor and damage occurs in another apartment, landlords can handle this through the building insurance. This is done independently of claims for damages against the person who caused the damage. The damaged person also has the right to rent reduction. However, he/she cannot assert a claim for damages against the landlord unless the latter can be proven to have acted intentionally or negligently. Damages can only be claimed against the causer, the tenant who caused the damage. This is paid either by his liability insurance or, if he does not have such insurance, by himself.

Frequently asked questions

Written by:

Stefanie Aust, Guest Writer

Stefanie loves to put complex topics from the real estate world into understandable and inspiring words. Whether it's about the right financing, choosing the right type of flat, or a successful property search: Stefanie is happy to inform you.

We are on hand to discuss any questions you may have about our properties or services.
  • Personal Consultation
  • International Support
  • Reach us at: +49 30 220130 - 501
Lilly Yakusheva
Real Estate Consultant
+ _ _
Information about our privacy policy.
Immowelt-Partner EVERESTATE GmbH

Your privacy is important to us

Cookies are used on our website. Some of these cookies are necessary for the basic functioning of the website and therefore cannot be deactivated (“Necessary cookies”). In addition, we use statistical and marketing cookies to help us provide you with a better experience by improving the website based on statistical analysis and to display advertisements according to your interests. These cookies are only used if you give your consent.
You can learn more about the individual cookies under Manage preferences and in our Privacy Policy.